Monday, November 21, 2016

M8U12A1

Thu Nguyen
Cohort 01/2016
M8U12A1

REFLECTION

In the effort to provide a full view on my understanding and progress in teaching, I combined videos of two 4th grade classes in this final clip.
Frankly, I would give myself the maximum score for the following areas.

1. Clear objectives – expectations – logical instructions è Better scaffolding
The objective of the lesson is clearly stated at the beginning of the lesson and my students are aware of the expectations, rules, skill to be learned, as well as the final product. All instructional steps are printed and posted on the black board and projected orderly on the white board. Therefore, student’s individual needs are all met, especially for those who are either beyond or behind the expected speed.

2. Informal formative assessment – large group sharing
Time pressure is one of the biggest concerns for teachers. As its result, time for large group discussion and sharing is limited accordingly. Right at the beginning of the lesson, we meet and sit in a circle to share what students know about the artist and his famous painting. It is truly our joyful moment when the teacher listens and learns from student’s life experiences. From these responses, I can estimate how interesting the lesson will be and what triggers their interest and engagement to learn this challenging skill, proportional drawing.

3. Shared reading approach in Art class
For elementary level, I believe the hook of lessons roots from their curiosity and the love for reading. Beginning an art class by reading relevant books is a powerful start. Moreover, each student has a chance to read a page so that together we understand the reasons behind the most mysterious smile of Mona Lisa.

4. Better classroom management: student engagement - emotional and behavioral management
As commented by my instructor, Katherine Holman, I have a gift of engaging students. I believe so. I am happy my passion, patience, and devotion are paid back. In order to enjoy such a gift, I believe that my seat chart is reasonable. As videos, students sit in three groups for individual practice, but only students with behavior issues sit around my instructional table where the projector is. Isabella and Kai are students who need a close supervision and they have better result sitting alone, either with me or within my eyes. Sifa, on the other hand, is a student who has a good effort but rarely satisfies with her work or hardly make it in her full potential. As videoed, she cries when fails to follow the class. Therefore, extra support including time, patience, praise, and feedback are so critical. Similar to Sifa, Daniel is a student who often leaves his paper blank and usually finds excuses for his works. This is the first time he can complete a part of the drawing within the class and willingly spend some extra time with me after class to complete it properly. On the contrary to Sifa and Daniel, Dana is a gifted student but also cries when she is allowed to read only one page of the book. All mixed emotion has gone and what left is their shiny smiles and satisfactory feeling when a challenge task is accomplished.

5. Objective achievement – visual aids and technology integration
When I first introduce the goal of the lesson that we will draw Mona Lisa with the proportional concept, my students yell in shock. However, they all satisfy with their own work. I can imagine how frustrated they may face when being left behind the class. There is why visual aids and projector are critical in my classroom. The steps of drawing are projected on the board bigger and clearer, I can use different color makers to bold the most confusing dots, lines, and shapes. For those who are either advanced or behind can refer to the prints on the black board. As its result, the whole class can complete the first sketch within 45 minute of the lesson.

6. Critiques, feedback, praise è self-correction and creativity
Having students critique their own work of art and providing on time feedback are helpful for the later process, self-correction. So are questions, praise, and motivations as usual. As a part of the freedom and creativity, my students are allowed to style their own Lisa. Some may add sunglasses; some suggests changing the background behind Lisa; others change the color of her hair and add hair clips. They are my true hair and clothing stylists and real young artists.

The only flaw in this video lays in the unstable color of the subtitles. I wish I could make it all black if I have my IMac with me during this transition. Except this little mistake, the rest is quite good. I truly hope my effort and progress is evident and convincing to become a teacher of today and tomorrow.




No comments:

Post a Comment