Friday, September 9, 2016

M8U1A3

Thu Nguyen
Cohort 01/2016
M8U1A3

REFLECTION ON THE TEACHING VIDEO

I used to video my beloved ones but rarely taped myself. However, the most important module in my journey to be a certified teacher requires such a challenging task. After having many lessons recorded and reviewed, I am now convinced that by watching and learning from my videos, I did improve many skills in my teaching practice, I did realize so many things happened in my classroom, among my students during my instruction time, I did draw some important notes for further improvement, and lastly I did see myself in a clearer way.
This reflection shares what I believe I did well as well as rooms for further improvement.

What have been well done?
This lesson was built in the concept of cross-skill and cross-curriculum for kindergarten level. Via this lesson, students were able to make connections between Math and Art, to improve their numeracy writing along with basic drawing skills.
From watching this video, I believe I did well in the following areas.
1. Learning environment
An impression of safe environment, active engagement, and positive interaction was evident. Students were provided space and time in each activity, from large group focus to individual practice. My students participated actively in the large group discussion and in my modeling session. They were very respectful and thoughtful in commenting on other’s works in order to enable further improvement rather than hurting feelings of others; this was a typical learning culture promoted in my classroom.
2. Instructional strategies and assessment
The lesson followed the concept of gradual release of responsibility. The new concept and skill were directly explained and modeled in the “I do” session. When students were working at their tables, I employed “We do” strategy by step by step demonstration, small group practice, and individual support. As its result, the following day of the lesson, students were able to self-assess their own artwork, to work in their own (You do it alone.), and even to fix own work based on peer feedback.
3. Student development and content knowledge
As mentioned above, the purpose of this lesson was to help improving backward writing that has been common for this age level combing in an art skill lesson. With that concept in mind, the flow of the lesson began with having students call out numbers hidden, then having some trace those numbers, and finally asking students to write numbers down. The approach, from easy to more challenging tasks created a logical and cognitive development. On the other hand, interaction was the key in our focus lesson; students were given chances to move to the board and to write numbers with the teacher during the modeling session. Kinesthetic is extremely important for this age group, not just only for ADHD students. The focus lesson allowed students to do so by moving from their seat to the board while reasoning their answers.
For new vocabulary - hidden - used in the lesson, I made sure to tap into students’ prior knowledge by asking them what they knew about this word first. After having students to share their own understanding by their own words, I concluded the definition in order to clear the understanding. This follows the concept of linguistic and cognitive development. Likewise, another fun aspect was to allow students observe and make connection between the shapes of body parts of the bird and numbers. By doing so, students will enhance their observation and drawing skills.

What need to further improve?
Given more time to redo this lesson, I would end the lesson in a different way, not just only exhibition. For example, I would have my students to draw one living thing or non-living thing in which there are at least two hidden numbers are found.   

Anyway, I believe my teaching skills will be improved with time, with more practice, and with continuous professional development courses. Videoing teaching lessons will become an integral part in this journey.



No comments:

Post a Comment